Monday, January 16, 2012

THE NAME OF THE STAR by Maureen Johnson

synopsis from the publisher: The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper in the autumn of 1888.
Soon "Rippermania" takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police now believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities.

As I have mentioned before, I don't read a lot of YA but I'd heard good things about this book and well, let's be honest. Can I resist London, Jack the Ripper, and ghosts all in one story? No, no I cannot.

Also, Rory is not one of those annoying teens that can be found in other books. She is pretty self-assured though out of her comfort zone in this London boarding school. I think she is more horrified by the field hockey she is forced to play than the Ripper copy-cat.
Things start to get weird when she is the only one who saw the man outside the school window her roommate and she were sneaking back into. Now she has a third roommate that follows her everywhere.

Even though there are a million books incorporating Jack the Ripper, Johnson has a different take to add some originality. She also infuses a lot of humor in Rory that makes this a very enjoyable read. 
It is the first in The Shades of London trilogy but I have a feeling the next two will be worth the wait.
my rating 4.5

4 comments:

samantha.1020 said...

I really enjoyed this book when I read it as well. I still need to write up my thoughts on it though :/ I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it so much and I'm looking forward to the 2nd book as well :)

heidenkind said...

Seriously, who can resist Jack the Ripper and ghosts in one book??? I'd worry about anyone who could. :)

Lu @ Regular Rumination said...

I really want to read this one! I might need to purchase it, so it's ready for me to read when the TBR Challenge is up! :)

A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

I've heard great things about this one. It's been on my tbr pile for awhile now. So glad it was disappointing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails